The sensation of ringing in your ears is an actual condition referred to as Tinnitus. If you are suffering from tinnitus then physical therapy treatment can help.
Have you ever “heard” of a condition called tinnitus? It is quite literally a hearing issue described as a persistent ringing or buzzing noise in one or both ears when no external sound is present. Are you are losing sleep, concentration and your overall patience over tinnitus? This irritating condition is caused by various related issues but may be alleviated with the right treatment.
Facts on Tinnitus
- Tinnitus is not a disease but rather a symptom of other underlying conditions or diseases.
- Factors that can increase your risk include age, gender, being exposed to loud noise for extended periods, cardiovascular problems and smoking.
- It is a common condition that affects 1 in 5 people (Mayo Clinic).
- Tinnitus can be subjective (meaning only you can hear it) or objective (your medical practitioner can hear it when they examine you).
Tinnitus Pain & Symptoms
Tinnitus is not actually painful and its main symptom is simply ringing or buzzing in the ear(s). It is, however, extremely irritating for those who suffer from it which causes the following related symptoms:
- Inability to hear regular sounds
- Concentration problems
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Depression or Anxiety
Cause & Treatment
There are many causes. Some surprising and treatable causes include prolonged exposure to loud noises, earwax blockage, TMJ disorder, head or neck trauma (which affect your hearing nerves), hypertension, spinal joint dysfunction, or blood flow blockages. A physical examination by our team of university trained physical therapists at Bourassa & Associates can determine an effective treatment plan to treat the underlying cause. Our therapists will design a tailored treatment plan that can include but is not limited to:
- Biomechanical treatment of the joints and muscles to manage spinal dysfunction
- Physiotherapy to treat hypertension or TMJ Disorder
Book Your Treatment & Start TODAY!
With over 30 years of experience and 19 clinics across Saskatchewan we can get started the same day you call, no doctor’s referral needed. Find a clinic near you to book your appointment today.
Bourassa & Associates Rehabilitation Centre looks forward to treating the irritation of tinnitus so you can get back to doing the things you love.