We spend hours of our day driving, sitting hunched over at a computer, sitting sedentary at our workstations, or watching TV. Repetitive activities and a poor posture often leads to a sore/stiff neck and a dull throbbing pain in your upper back, shoulders and arms. In more severe cases you may have experienced a shooting pain down your arm into your hand and fingers (usually a symptom of a pinched nerve in your neck).
Facts on Stiff Neck
- Neck pain occurs when there are abnormalities in your soft tissues, ligaments, muscles, nerves and joints of the spine.
Injury from prolonged wear & tear, repetitive use, and poor posture causes soft tissue abnormalities and neck stiffness.
- When your neck is positioned poorly it also causes injury to the structures (muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons, nerves) that surround the spine.
- If left untreated the stress can cause joint degeneration and Osteoarthritis over time.
Stiff Neck Pain & Symptoms
- Neck stiffness/pain isn’t an isolated issue and usually causes upper back pain and upper arm/forearm pain.
- A pinched nerve in the neck will cause a shooting pain down the arm along with hand numbness and weakness.
- Stiff neck can limit your range of motion making it painful to turn your head.
- A stiff neck can feel tender and cause headaches.
Cause & Treatment of Stiff Neck
Effective treatment of your neck stiffness and pain varies on diagnosis. It is important to determine whether it is a repetitive or overuse sprain or due to trauma like whiplash or other impact. When your neck is stiff it means that the surrounding muscles and ligaments are probably not functioning at an optimum level. A physical examination by a Bourassa & Associates’ university trained therapist can determine the underlying cause of your neck stiffness. Our therapists will work as a team to design a tailored treatment plan that can include but is not limited to:
- Hands on stretching of joints and muscles
- Exercises to stretch tight structures and strengthen weak muscles
- Postural correctional exercises
- Stress relief and breathing exercises
- Lifestyle modification to help with sedentary lifestyle
Book Your Treatment & Start TODAY!
With over 30 years of experience and 19 clinics across Saskatchewan we can get started the same day you call, no doctor’s referral needed. Find a clinic near you to book your appointment.
Bourassa & Associates Rehabilitation Centre looks forward to treating your neck pain so you can get back to doing your daily activities pain-free!