Sciatica can cause lower back, hip, or buttock pain. It can feel like sharp, shooting or radiating pain down one side of your body. Physiotherapy can help.
Have you ever experienced a mild ache or shooting pain down one of your legs after a long day or sitting? Perhaps you’ve experienced numbness in one of your legs along with lower back pain? If your pain isn’t resolving after a week or it gets worse over time you may have sciatica. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along your sciatic nerve (which runs from your lower back to your hip, buttock, and down your leg).
- Sciatica is linked to degenerative disc disease (i.e., slipped or bulging disc) in your spine that puts pressure on your sciatic nerve causing irritation.
- Stress on the muscles and ligaments that support your spine or poor posture can lead to spinal or lower back problems thereby causing sciatica.
- Standing or sitting for a prolonged period of time can increase your sciatic pain.
- Severe cases can affect your bladder and bowel control.
- Sciatica can make you feel like you have weakness in your lower limb muscles and your foot.
Sciatica Pain & Symptoms
Sciatica can cause the following pain and symptoms:
- Pain, inflammation, burning or numbness in one leg
- Lower back pain, hip pain, or buttock pain
- Sharp, shooting or radiating pain in one side of your lower body
- Pain in the back of your thigh or calf
- Tingling in the foot
Cause & Treatment
If diagnosed early most cases can be treated without medical intervention. A physical examination by our team of university trained therapists at Bourassa & Associates Rehabilitation Centre can determine an effective treatment plan to reduce your sciatic pain. Our therapists will design a tailored treatment plan that can include but is not limited to:
- Hands on treatment to correct joint muscle and disc issues
- Physiotherapy exercise to strengthen the muscles that support your back and spine
- Stretching exercises
- Dry needling
- Pain relieving electrical, light or ultrasound therapy
Book Your Treatment & Start TODAY!
Bourassa & Associates Rehabilitation Centre looks forward to treating your sciatica so you can do the things you love.