Treat your headache with corrective physical therapy before relying on medication. Learn the common causes of the mid-day headache.
Let’s Talk Headaches
Headaches are a very common medical complaint and may stem from a variety of causes such as joints, muscles, blood flow and nerves. A headache can last a few hours, to a few days, or even become a chronic condition that lasts 15 or more days per month for a prolonged period of time. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that, “3/4 of adults aged 18-65 will have a headache in a year and 30% or more report having a migraine.” Often headaches go underestimated or under-treated.
Facts & Symptoms
- Headaches can be categorized as primary or secondary and their causes and symptoms can vary based on the type you experience.
- Headaches can last a few hours or can become a chronic condition.
- Treating with only pain medication can turn into rebound headaches leaving you dependent on the pain medication.
- Headaches can be caused by other physical issues such as poor posture, neck pain, upper back pain.
- Headaches can be caused by stress and anxiety.
- Headaches can be caused by Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD).
Cause & Treatment
Effective treatment of headache pain varies on diagnosis of the headache type. A physical examination by a Bourassa & Associates’ university trained physical therapist can determine the underlying cause and our therapists will work as a team to design a tailored treatment plan that can include but is not limited to:
- Modality treatments
- Stretching of tight neck and upper back muscles
- Physiotherapy exercises to strengthen weak upper back and neck muscles (providing better posture control)
- Stress relief exercises
- Dry Needling
- Lifestyle Modification
- Exercises to perform at home
Book Your Treatment & Start TODAY!
Bourassa & Associates Rehabilitation Centre looks forward to treating your headaches and getting you back to doing the things you love.